Monday, September 18, 2006

A Bored Job

by Thomas Bollay

Time flies, as it's been some time since I started working here. What I should say is that I really feel bored working here.

Since my first day, they have placed me in front of this computer, asking me to familiarize myself with all the documents, and telling me that I have to assist the supervisor because she is just too busy to handle things on her own. Okay I think, it is great to work with a theatre company since I am a theatre lover, and used to be an actor and director myself. With her busy schedule, I can sure occupy myself with a lot of work and show my talents to the person who decided to hire me for this position.

Sadly, though, I have to ask her all the time, "Is there anything I can do to help?" Then she will give me some little things to do, like write an invoice or voucher to someone, or go to the government department to get a licence. Okay, I think this is part of the learning process to become familiar with the job. However, most of the time, she says, "Wait now. Give me a moment." Then the day has gone, and I have done nothing but sit in front of my computer, browsing on the Internet, writing emails to friends, or writing my daily blog. Oh yes, I did write some sponsorship request letters.

I feel guilty about not doing much work but still getting paid at the end of every month. I am working four hours a day, and I think this may be the main reason why they have not assigned any consistent assignments to me. I am not sure.

I really hope I am not here to just show my face and leave after 4 hours without really doing my job. I will give myself a time frame until the end of the year to decide whether to stick with the company, or look for a permanent job with better employment benefits.


No comments: